Easy Rice Pudding
A rice pudding recipe is one of the simplest, most satisfying desserts you can make in under half an hour.. Plus, it’s a blank slate upon which you can impose your kitchen creativity. Add a few nuts here, a dash of cinnamon there; make it your own.
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 cup short-grain or long-grain white rice
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar, plus more as needed
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla or almond extract
- Toppings such as chopped nuts, dried or fresh fruit, cinnamon, or nutmeg (optional)
- 1Place the milk, rice, sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved.
- 2Lower the heat to a bare simmer and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender and the mixture thickens, about 20 minutes.
- 3Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla or almond extract. Taste, adding additional sugar or toppings as desired.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved