Sweet Potato Lentil Soup Recipe
This is my favorite recipe for lentil soup. It’s unlike any other lentil soup i’ve ever had: incredibly delicious, hearty, a little bit sweet, great flavor. The recipe is adapted from the one in Thomas Keller’s Ad Hoc At Home, with changes to make it quicker & easier.
- 8 oz. applewood smoked bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 T canola oil
- 2 cups carrots, diced
- 2 cups leeks, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1 1/2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled & cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- sachet of 1 bay leaf, 10 peppercorns, 3 peeled/smashed garlic cloves, 3 sprigs of thyme
- 2 cups french green lentils
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1-2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- pepper & salt to taste
- sour cream (optional)
- Fry bacon in canola oil over low heat for 20-25 mins until browned but not crisp. Remove bacon from fat and set aside.
- Saute carrots, leeks and curry powder in the bacon fat, season with salt, reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 30-35 mins until tender.
- Add potatoes, lentils, sachet, stock to the vegetable mixture and simmer 30-40 minutes until lentils are tender.
- Add vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. Serve with bacon & cilantro garnish, sour cream optional.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.