Chorizo and Potato Breakfast Tacos
Tacos can be eaten any time of day, so why not start with breakfast? Chorizo adds zip to a hearty potato-and-onion filling that’s irresistible when stuffed into a warm corn tortilla and topped with cheese and salsa. Be sure to dice the potato small to ensure quick and even cooking.
What to buy: Mexican chorizo (not to be confused with its Spanish counterpart) is a fresh pork sausage that must be cooked prior to eating. It can be mild or spicy, and is found at gourmet markets or online. If you can’t find Mexican chorizo, you can sub in any fresh, spicy sausage.
Queso fresco is a mild white cheese that doesn’t melt when heated. It can be found in the refrigerated cheese case of most grocery stores or at specialty cheese shops or Latin markets.
This recipe was featured as part of our breakfast beer tasting.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 ounces Yukon Gold potato (about 1/2 medium), cut into 1/8-inch cubes (for about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces Mexican chorizo, casing removed
- 6 large eggs
- 6 small corn tortillas, warmed or grilled
- Crumbled queso fresco, for topping
- Ancho Chile Salsa, for topping
- 1Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the potato and onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion starts to soften, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chorizo, breaking it up with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the potato cubes are tender and the chorizo is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, place the eggs in a medium bowl, season with salt and pepper, and beat with a fork until well combined.
- 3Reduce the heat to medium low, pour the egg mixture into the pan, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggs are just set, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- 4Divide the egg mixture among the tortillas and serve with queso fresco and salsa.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved