Egg and Smoked Salmon Open-Faced Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
Wake up to a meal that is both protein-packed and palate-pleasing. Lemon-studded crème fraîche complements smoky salmon and creamy herbed scrambled eggs.
This recipe was featured as part of our breakfast beer tasting.
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche
- Finely grated zest of 1/2 medium lemon
- Juice of 1/2 medium lemon, as needed
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 stick)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 2 English muffins, split in half and toasted
- 4 medium slices smoked salmon (about 2 ounces), at room temperature
- Place the crème fraîche and zest in a small bowl and stir to combine. Season with lemon juice, salt, and pepper as desired; set aside.
- Place the eggs in a medium bowl and beat with a fork until broken up. Season with a pinch each of salt and pepper and beat to incorporate. Place 2 tablespoons of the eggs in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat a 10-inch nonstick frying pan over medium-low heat until hot, about 2 minutes. Add the butter to the pan and, using a rubber spatula, swirl until it’s melted and foamy and the pan is evenly coated. Pour in the larger portion of the eggs, sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the chives and 1 tablespoon of the tarragon, and let sit undisturbed until the eggs just start to set around the edges, about 1 to 2 minutes. Using the rubber spatula, push the eggs from the edges into the center. Let sit again for about 30 seconds, then repeat pushing the eggs from the edges into the center every 30 seconds until just set, for a total cooking time of about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons raw egg and stir until the eggs no longer look wet. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Divide the reserved crème fraîche mixture among the toasted English muffin halves and top each with a slice of smoked salmon and then a quarter of the eggs. Garnish with the remaining chives and tarragon and serve warm.