White Barbecue Sauce
This Alabama-style, mayonnaise-based white barbecue sauce is delicious over Hickory-Smoked Chicken. It can also be used as a sauce for chicken salad: Pull the cooked chicken off the bone, cut the meat into bite-size chunks, and toss it in just enough of the sauce to coat it.
Game plan: Store-bought mayonnaise will work fine in this recipe, or you could make your own.
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise (see Game Plan note)
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper, plus more as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1Combine all ingredients in a medium, nonreactive bowl and mix thoroughly. Taste and season with more salt and pepper as needed.
- 2Slather over grilled or smoked chicken, or fold cooked boneless pieces of chicken into the sauce for a chicken salad.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved