Smoked Trout Pâté
This pâté is delicious on crackers or thinly sliced grilled toasts. If you prefer a smoked trout salad, keep the fish pieces larger and, rather than mixing the fish to break it up, gently fold it into just enough sauce to coat it.
Game plan: You’ll need to make the smoked trout before you begin.
This recipe was featured as part of our smoking project.
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon drained and rinsed capers
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped tarragon
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Juice of 1 medium lime
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10 ounces smoked trout meat (from about three 8-ounce whole smoked trout; see Game Plan note)
- Crackers or thinly sliced toasts, for serving
- 1In a medium, nonreactive bowl, combine the crème fraîche or sour cream, capers, chives, tarragon, paprika, cayenne, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- 2Using your hands, break the trout into bite-sized pieces, discarding any bones and skin. Add the fish to the crème fraîche mixture. Stir rapidly with a spoon, using the spoon to break up the fish, until the mixture is a spreadable consistency. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Serve on crackers or thinly sliced toasts.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved