Smoked Trout Pâté Recipe
This pâté is delicious on crackers or thinly sliced grilled toasts. If you prefer a smoked trout salad, keep the fish pieces larger and, rather than mixing the fish to break it up, gently fold it into just enough sauce to coat it.
This recipe was featured as part of our smoking project.
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
- 1 tablespoon drained and rinsed capers
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped tarragon
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Juice of 1 medium lime
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10 ounces smoked trout meat (from about three 8-ounce whole Smoked Trout
- Crackers or thinly sliced toasts, for serving
- In a medium, nonreactive bowl, combine the crème fraîche or sour cream, capers, chives, tarragon, paprika, cayenne, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Using your hands, break the trout into bite-sized pieces, discarding any bones and skin. Add the fish to the crème fraîche mixture. Stir rapidly with a spoon, using the spoon to break up the fish, until the mixture is a spreadable consistency. Season with salt and pepper as desired. Serve on crackers or thinly sliced toasts.