Basic Crêpes Recipe
Author and Tante Marie teacher Jodi Liano shares her recipe for delicious, no-fuss French crêpes. She recommends drizzling them with powdered sugar, lemon juice, and extra butter, as she demonstrates in our YDIAW video. We also like spreading crêpes with jam or Nutella, or folding them around fresh sliced strawberries or smoked salmon and crème fraîche. The possibilities are endless.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch kosher salt
- Pinch granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more as needed
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Lemon wedges (optional)
- Place flour, salt, sugar, milk, and eggs in a blender. Mix on high until completely combined, about 30 seconds. Let mixture rest in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or overnight. (If the batter separates, mix it again just before cooking the crêpes.)
- When ready to cook the crêpes, melt 1/2 tablespoon of the butter in a 10-inch nonstick skillet or an 8-inch crêpe pan over medium heat. As the butter melts, swirl it around to coat the bottom of the pan. Pour in about 1/4 cup of the batter and immediately swirl and tilt the pan to create a thin, even layer. (If the batter sets before the skillet is coated, reduce the heat slightly. The next crêpe will be better.) Return to heat and cook until the crêpe is golden around the edges and dry in the center, about 1 to 2 minutes. Tilt the skillet, sliding half the crêpe off the skillet and onto a rubber spatula. Flip both the spatula and crêpe over so that the crêpe lands back in the skillet, and cook for about 20 seconds more. (Jodi flips her crepes by hand, but we recommend the spatula method to save your fingers from the heat.) If you choose, use the back of a spoon to spread another 1/2 tablespoon of the butter over the crêpe, then sprinkle with a bit of powdered sugar and a squeeze of lemon.
- Slide the crêpe onto a serving plate and fold it in half, then in half again. Repeat with the remaining batter, buttering the pan as needed (after about every other crêpe). Serve immediately.