Authentic grenadine syrup is made from pomegranate juice sweetened with sugar and flavored with a few drops of lemon juice and orange-flower water (as opposed to corn syrup and red dye). Once you taste the real deal in, say, a Mary Pickford, you’ll never go back to the Shirley Temple cocktail mixer of your youth.
This recipe was featured as part of our DIY Home Bar project, as well as our DIY Holiday Gifts Advent Calendar.
- 1 cup pomegranate juice, no sugar added
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 to 3 drops orange-flower water
- 1Heat pomegranate juice in a small saucepan over medium heat until steam rises from the surface and a few bubbles have formed around the perimeter of the pan, about 5 minutes. (Do not boil.) Remove from heat.
- 2Add sugar and stir until it has dissolved and the liquid is no longer cloudy, about 5 minutes.
- 3Stir in lemon juice and orange-flower water and let the syrup cool to room temperature, about 40 minutes. Transfer to a container with a tightfitting lid and refrigerate for up to 1 month.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved