DIY Coconut Milk Recipe
I hadn’t thought of making coconut milk from shredded coconut until I read Sarma Melngailis’ book Living Raw Food.
This recipe is a little messy to make, however, I like it since it’s a heck of a lot easier than cracking open a fresh coconut and scooping out the “meat,” etc. And, it helps me avoid canned coconut products.
- 2 cups shredded coconut (I use unsweetened)
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 drops stevia
- Soak coconut in water for 1-2 hours (do not discard water)
- In a Vita-Mix, combine coconut, water, vanilla and stevia and process on highest speed
- Strain liquid through a fine mesh paint strainer bag, discarding solids
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.