This a recipe from one of my oldest books, by Lida M. Touzalin, 1929. It’s a very inexpensive cake to make, yet, it’s moist and wonderfully light, like a big cocoa muffin. This is a wonderful recipe.
- 1Separate the egg yolk from the egg white.
- 2Beat the egg white to stiff peaks, set a aside for a moment.
- 3Beat the yolk with the sugar for a couple of minutes, add the milk and keep beating.
- 4Mix the flour with the baking soda and add to the previous mixture.
Beat until the batter is nice and smooth.
- 5Meanwhile, melt the butter with the chocolate (I did it in the microwave, 30 seconds at the time and stirring–800W) and mix until the chocolate is perfectly melted and blended with the butter.
- 6Now add the chocolate to the previous batter and mix well.
Fold the egg whites into the batter, carefully.
- 7Pour into a well buttered mold and cook at 180 degrees Celsius (356 F) for about 35 minutes.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.