Warm Fava Bean and Chanterelle Salad with Poached Eggs
This warm salad is satisfying and colorful, with earthy chanterelle mushrooms and bright green fava beans. A poached egg on top adds its own rich sauce to the mix.
- Kosher salt
- 2 pounds fava beans, in their pods
- 1/2 pound fingerling or new potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into 1/2-inch coins
- 4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound chanterelle mushrooms, cleaned, trimmed of tough stems, and cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 4 poached eggs
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1Fill a medium saucepan with heavily salted water and bring it to a boil over high heat. Prepare an ice water bath by filling a large bowl halfway with ice and water; set aside.
- 2Remove the fava beans from their pods. Boil the favas in the salted water until the bean inside the outer skin is bright green and firm but not hard, about 1 to 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the favas to the ice water bath to cool. Reserve the fava cooking water. Peel the light green outer skin from each bean to reveal two bright green inner halves; discard the skins. Place the beans in a medium bowl; set aside.
- 3Return the water to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer until the potatoes are knife tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and place in the bowl with the favas. Add the lemon juice and mustard to the bowl and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper; set aside.
- 4Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat until shimmering. Add the shallot and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Increase the heat to high, add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender and brown around the edges, about 3 to 5 minutes. Season with pepper and more salt. Add the reserved favas and potatoes, stir to combine, and cook until heated through and the moisture in the pan has evaporated, about 1 minute.
- 5Remove the pan from the heat and season the mixture with additional salt and pepper. Divide among 4 plates, top each serving with a poached egg, and sprinkle with the chives.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved