Honey and lemon zest flavor this tart made with ricotta cheese. A crisp crust and crunchy almond topping sandwich the creamy filling.
What to buy: Store-bought ricotta works fine in this recipe, or you could make your own.
Special equipment: You will need a 9-inch round tart pan with a removable bottom to make this dessert.
Game plan: Drain the ricotta of excess moisture by placing it in a fine-mesh strainer set over a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, weigh the cheese down with a heavy object, and refrigerate overnight.
- 1Place the the melted butter, sugar, zest, and salt in a large bowl and stir until combined. Add the flour and stir just until a soft dough forms, about 1 minute.
- 2Evenly arrange small pieces of the dough over the bottom of a 9-inch round tart pan with a removable bottom. Using a measuring cup or your fingers, press the dough to form an even layer over the bottom and up the sides of the pan, flouring the cup or your fingers as needed.
- 3Cover the tart shell with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle.
- 5When the shell is chilled, prick it all over with a fork and place it on a baking sheet. Bake until golden brown all over, about 20 to 25 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the filling.
For the filling:
- 1Place the drained ricotta, eggs, honey, zest, and cinnamon in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a blade attachment. Process, stopping and scraping down the sides of the bowl often with a rubber spatula, until the mixture is smooth and combined, about 1 minute.
- 2Spread the filling in the warm tart shell and evenly sprinkle the almonds over top. Bake until the center of the tart is just set, about 25 to 30 minutes. Cool completely on a rack before serving.