The Night Marcher Recipe
The Night Marcher is a signature drink at Los Angeles’s Tar Pit, an all-star restaurant-bar venture put together by Audrey Saunders, Chad Solomon, Christy Pope, and Mark Peel. While the spot is more old Hollywood glamour than tiki kitsch, the barstaff is incorporating neo-tropical drinks like this one into the menu.
Game plan: To make the Demerara simple syrup, combine equal parts Demerara sugar and water, then heat, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Cool before using.
This recipe was featured as part of our Tiki Cocktails recipe slideshow.
- 2 1/2 ounces aged white Martinique rum
- 1/2 ounce 151-proof Lemon Hart Demerara rum
- 1/2 ounce green Chartreuse
- 1 1/2 ounces ginger beer
- 3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 ounce Demerara simple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon Cholula Mexican hot sauce
- 2 dashes angostura bitters
- Crushed ice
- 1 piece candied ginger, for garnish
- 1 lime wedge, for garnish
- Combine all of the ingredients except the ice and garnishes in a tall glass and fill the glass halfway with crushed ice. Place a long-handled barspoon in the glass, hold the handle between your palms, and slide your hands back and forth to swizzle the drink until combined.
- Top with more crushed ice to fill the glass and swizzle again until combined and well chilled. Garnish with the candied ginger and lime wedge.