Wisdom of Pelé
Adapted from Blair Reynolds
Portland, Oregon-based tiki bartender Blair Reynolds considers this drink one of his classic creations. It plays with many of the original tiki cocktail flavors: cinnamon, honey, grapefruit, lime, and, of course, copious amounts of rum. Sip carefully; this is a serious drink.
What to buy: You can use any high-quality commercial cinnamon syrup, or infuse your own.
Falernum is a clove- and lime-infused liqueur and can be purchased at most liquor stores; a popular brand is John D. Taylor’s Velvet Falernum. If you can’t find falernum, try making your own. We think "this recipe ":http://www.chow.com/recipes/28427-paul-clarkes-falernum-9 is a great stand-in.
The Wisdom of Pelé recipe was featured as part of our Tiki Cocktails photo gallery.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons orange blossom honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hot water
- 3/4 cup crushed ice
- 1 ounce 151-proof Lemon Hart Demerara rum
- 1 ounce dark Jamaican rum, such as Coruba
- 1 ounce light Virgin Islands rum, such as Cruzan
- 1/2 ounce aged Martinique rum, such as St. James Extra Old
- 3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 ounce freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 3/4 ounce falernum
- 1/4 ounce Cinnamon Syrup
- 2 dashes aromatic bitters, such as angostura or Fee Brothers Whiskey Barrel Aged
- 1/4 ounce Navan vanilla liqueur
Pour honey and hot water into a small bowl and stir until smooth. Transfer to a blender and add all remaining ingredients except vanilla liqueur. Quickly pulse until frothy but not slushy, about 4 pulses. Pour into a collins glass and top with vanilla liqueur.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved