Cradle of Life Recipe
What to buy: Orgeat is an almond-sugar syrup traditionally made from whole blanched almonds. The nut oil gives the syrup (and cocktails made with it) a richness that can’t be duplicated with a cheap syrup made with almond flavoring and sugar. Try to find a high-quality brand such as Small Hand Foods or Trader Tiki’s.
This recipe was featured as part of our Tiki Cocktails photo gallery.
- Crushed ice
- 3/4 ounce spiced rum, such as Sailor Jerry or Montecristo
- 3/4 ounce white rum
- 2 1/4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 1/4 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 1/4 teaspoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 ounce orgeat
- 2 dashes angostura bitters
- 1/2 juiced lime shell, for garnish
- 1/2 ounce green Chartreuse, for garnish
- Place crushed ice in an Old Fashioned glass. Combine all remaining ingredients except garnishes in a cocktail shaker, shake vigorously, and pour into the glass.
- Place lime shell in the drink flesh side up. Fill with Chartreuse, carefully light the Chartreuse on fire (use caution, because the flame will be difficult to see), and serve. The guest is encouraged to pour the flaming Chartreuse over the cocktail at his or her leisure.