Caldo de Res Recipe
This is a traditional Mexican dish with lots of flavor. Don’t afraid of the time it takes, it is SO worth it.
- 2-5 1 in. thick beef shanks depending on size
- 2 med. yellow squash
- 2 med. zucchini
- 1 small cabbage or ½ large cabbage, cut into 2 in. pieces
- 2 med. potatoes or a decent size jicama (optional
- 1 cn corn, or 2 whole ears (optional)
- 1 cn crushed tomatoes
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- 4 Guajillo chilie
- 2 chipotles
- 2 Tb chile powder
- 2 t ground cumin(comino) or 1 t fresh ground cumin
- 1 block Knorr’s beef bullion
- salt and pepper to taste
- Brown beef shanks in pan with a small amount of oil, then simmer in large pot with onions and garlic, for 1 hour, skimming foam when necessary.
- Meanwhile, chop veggies into large bite-size pieces, and quarter corn cobs. Set aside
- Also, places Guajillo chilies in small sauce pan with water to cover. Simmer ½ hour
- When hour is up, add veggies, bullion, spices, guajillo chilies and chipotles
- Simmer for two hours longer, or until meat is very tender, and falls off bone.
- serve with lime juice and corn tortillas.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.