For some reason, most recipes for this call for Knorr’s or Maggi bullion, but I like to start with chicken broth, or homemade stock instead. I guess this would be an adaption, then. Use more or less peppers according to preference, but if you like it really spicy, replace the vinegar with the juice from the peppers.
- 1Brown chicken in pan with a small amount of oil.
- 2If starting with whole chicken, add onion, simmer for 2 hours, then cool chicken, de-bone, dice and put meat back in pot . Otherwise, dice chicken and put in pot and add chicken broth/stock.
- 3Add tomatillos, hominy, peppers, onion, cumin, oregano and vinegar or pepper juice, and salt. If using pepper juice, use less salt.
- 4Bring to boil, reduce to simmer, and simmer for 1 hour.
- 5Serve with handful of raw cabbage, lime juice to taste, and corn tortillas.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.