This pasta sauce takes some time and effort, but it is good enough that my husband, who is a devout meat lover, asks for it all the time. Serve with any type of pasta, and a glass of the wine you cooked with.
Also, to make Vegan, omit cheese.
- 1After preparing and reserving vegetables, heat olive oil in large pan or skillet.
- 2Saute olives, 2/3 shallot, 1/2 onion, garlic, carrots, and celery until they begin to blacken around edges, or until minced garlic is golden brown.
- 3Add 3/4 cup red wine and reduce until gone.
- 4Add vinegars and reduce until gone.
- 5Add remaining shallot and onion, mushrooms, zucchini and yellow squash and saute until onion is translucent.
- 6Add crushed tomatoes, Romano cheese, MSG, and herbs, stir until combined, add remaining wine, salt and pepper and stir again.
- 7Simmer on low for one hour, uncovered, adding water if necessary, and stirring occasionally.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.