Cuban: Chicharrones recipe (pork cracklings) Recipe
- 2 lbs pork rind or skin [trim most of the fat and discard]
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups water
- Cooking oil for deep fat frying
- Cut pork rind into 2-inch squares. sprinkle with salt, spread on cookie sheet in one layer and bake in a 250 F oven for 3 hours
- Cool and set aside in covered jars until ready to use. When needed, pour oil to about 1/3 the depth of the pan. Heat 5-8 minutes on medium high heat. Fry pork rinds until they puff up [about 3-5 minutes].
- Drain and serve with a dipping sauce which is a mixture of 2 Tbsps vinegar, 1/8 tsp salt and 1 clove crushed garlic. [Dash of black pepper optional.]
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.