This drink comes to us courtesy of Martin Cate, owner of Smuggler’s Cove in San Francisco. The aged rum, molasses, and allspice liqueur lend nice complexity to the cocktail.
What to buy: Allspice liqueur (a.k.a. Pimento or Allspice Dram) is available at specialty liquor stores. We like the St. Elizabeth brand distributed by Haus Alpenz.
This recipe was featured as part of our Tiki Cocktails photo gallery.
- 1 1/2 ounces Pampero rum
- 1 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce unsulphured light molasses
- 1/2 ounce Rich Simple Syrup, also known as rock candy syrup
- 1/4 ounce allspice liqueur
- Dash angostura bitters
- 2 1/2 ounces seltzer
- 1 lemon twist, for garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice. Add all ingredients except the seltzer and the lemon twist and shake vigorously until well chilled, about 20 seconds.
- Strain into a pilsner glass filled with ice, top with seltzer, and stir to combine. Garnish with a lemon twist.
Copyright ©2012 CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved