Bill's Winter Chicken Stew Recipe
This is a big bold flavorful chicken stew that will warm you up on a cold winter night. Don’t let the number of ingredients scare you as its fun to put together and all 20 ingredients are magical together. For wine pairing I would go to the South of France for a Cotes du Rhone as the Grenache and Syrah are well suited for all the flavors in the stew. Enjoy!
- 2 TBSP Butter
- 1 Large Red Onion Minced
- 1 Large Yellow Onion Minced
- 2-3 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 2 Pinches Paprika
- 3 Sprigs of Fresh Rosemary Finely Minced
- 1 pinch of Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Pinches Thyme
- 4 Ounces Olive Oil
- 1 Large Chicken Cut Up
- 2 Cups Julienned Carrots
- 4 Large Potatoes Peeled and Quartered
- 1 Tsp Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tsp Soy Sauce
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Flour to Thicken
- 1 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1 1/2 Cups Good Red Wine (If you don't like to drink it don't use it!)
- Lots of Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Bay Leaves
- Melt butter in a large pot, saute onions until translucent (3-4 min). Add garlic, paprika, rosemary, thyme and red pepper flakes. Add olive oil and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces, carrots, potatoes, vinegar, soy sauce and sugar. Cook over medium heat 25 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add flour, stir in to thicken. Add chicken stock, red wine, bay leaf and lots of black pepper. Cook 40 minutes, after 30 minutes remove chicken and debone and deskin. Put chicken pieces in for last 10 minutes.
- Serve in large bowls with French Bread and a sprig of rosemary for garnish.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.