Refried Black Beans
These beans work equally well in a breakfast burrito or nachos. The smoothness is a personal preference, so mash them as much or as little as you like.
This recipe was featured as part of our Nacho Recipes photo gallery.
- 3 tablespoons lard or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 3 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 cups cooked black beans
- 3/4 cup water or bean-cooking liquid
- 1Heat lard or oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat until shimmering, about 2 minutes. Add onion, garlic, and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are soft and just beginning to brown, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add 1 cup of the beans and mash completely with the back of a spoon or a potato masher. Add another cup of the beans and mash completely, stirring occasionally. Add remaining 1 cup beans and mash, leaving about half of the beans intact.
- 3Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the bean starches begin to coat the bottom of the pan and turn golden brown, about 3 minutes. Add water or bean-cooking liquid, bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan to incorporate the water and heat the beans through, about 2 minutes. (The beans may initially look soupy, but they’ll thicken as they cool, so be sure to add all of the water or bean-cooking liquid.)
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved