Here in New England, Maine shrimp are small red shrimp available seasonally and I love to take advantage of them by making a spicy sauce for pasta. If you can find them with heads on and roe intact, all the better for a more intense flavor, but headless shell-on shrimp will do just fine. (This can be made with any type of shellfish or calamari)
- 1Saute shrimp in approximately 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil in a sauce pot for about 2 minutes on each side over medium high heat.
- 2Lower heat to medium and add garlic cloves, and saute until light golden brown on each side.
- 3Add tomatoes, some salt and ground black pepper, chili pepper, parsley, dried oregano and bay leaf and bring back to a boil.
- 4Let cook for 20 minutes over low heat, covered (as long as it slowly bubbling). Taste for seasoning, adding more spice/salt if necessary.
- 5Boil your favorite pasta in plenty of well salted water. Drain pasta and serve with shrimp sauce. Please note that shellfish will break down the sauce so it appears to be on the watery side, but the flavor will still be intense.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.