Sautéed Bok Choy Recipe
A good Bok Choy recipe is the perfect vegetable for a healthy side dish.You will need garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and toasted sesame oil.
This recipe was featured as part of our Chinese New Year Dishes photo gallery.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (from 1/2-inch piece)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds bok choy (about 2 medium bunches), cleaned, ends trimmed, and cut on the bias into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Salt (optional)
- In a large frying pan with a tightfitting lid, heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the garlic, ginger, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant but not brown, about 30 seconds.
- Add the bok choy and, using tongs, fold it into the garlic-ginger mixture until coated, about 1 minute. Add the soy sauce and water, cover, and cook until steam accumulates, about 1 minute. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the greens are just wilted, the stalks are just fork tender but still crisp, and most of the water has evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, stir in the sesame oil, and season with salt if desired.
Copyright ©2012 CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved