This recipe was featured in a local newspaper recipe contest several years ago. Since then I have made this chocolate cake every year for my son’s birthday party. We have such a big party that in addition to this cake, I also order a large vanilla cake from the bakery. As soon as the candles are blown out, people rush the table to get in line for a piece of the chocolate cake. I did cake decorating for a few years and have made some elaborate cakes, but this is my all time go-to recipe. It is so easy and delicous. Everyone loves it.
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking cocoa, baking soda & salt.
- 2With a spoon, make three holes in the flour mixture. Pour the oil into one hole, the vanilla into the next hole and the vinegar into the last hole. Pour the cold water over all and stir with a whisk until well blended.
- 3Pour evenly into two greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans which have been lined with wax paper.
- 4Bake for 30-35 minutes. Test for doneness with a toothpick or knife. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and finish cooling on wire rack.
- 5Frost with your favorite chocolate fudge frosting. Decorate with chopped walnuts.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.