Easy Buffalo Wings Recipe
35 mins, plus marinating time
6 to 8 servings as an hors d'oeuvre
In this oven-baked version of the classic fried finger food, a short marinade combined with broiling crisps up the skin and leaves the meat juicy. A last-minute dip in hot sauce guarantees that spicy flavor.
What to buy: The spiciness of these wings will depend on your choice of hot sauce. We prefer the mild to medium spiciness from brands like Frank’s RedHot or Crystal, but feel free to use something hotter if you like.
- 1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) mild to medium hot sauce
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 pounds chicken wings, separated into 2 pieces and wing tips discarded
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick), melted
- Blue Cheese Dressing (optional)
- Celery sticks (optional)
- 1Place 1 cup of the hot sauce, the buttermilk, and the garlic powder in a large resealable plastic bag and stir to combine. Add the wings; seal the bag, pressing out any excess air; and turn the bag to coat the wings evenly. Let marinate in the refrigerator, turning occasionally, for at least 2 hours or up to 12 hours.
- 2Heat the broiler to high and arrange a rack in the middle of the oven. Cover a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack on it.
- 3Remove the wings from the marinade, letting any excess drip off, and arrange in a single layer on the rack. (If possible, don’t allow the wings to touch.) Discard the marinade and broil the wings until the meat starts to pull away from the bones and the skin is deep golden brown, bubbling, and crisped, about 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and turn the wings over using tongs. Return wings to the oven and continue broiling until the skin is deep golden brown, bubbling, and crisped on the second side, about 12 minutes more.
- 4Meanwhile, combine remaining 1/2 cup hot sauce and melted butter in a large bowl and set aside. Add cooked wings and toss to coat. Serve immediately with blue cheese dressing and celery sticks, if using.
Copyright ©2012 CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved