was part of
Food Fight: Holiday Desserts Challenge
which ended Nov 6, 2009 04:00 PM.
See winners »
Double Chocolate Expresso Nut Cookies Recipe
I am always trying to make cookies different. Many teenagers are drinking coffee. So I combined the two things and come up with an amazing cookie. I send my experimental cookies to school with my son, this one needed no tweaking. It was a huge hit. I know your family will love it also.
- Nonstick vegetable spray
- 1 cup sugar, diveded
- 2 teaspoons instant expresso powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon chinese 5 spice
- 1/2 tablespoon sweet ground chocolate
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt, plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1 egg white, plus 2 eggs, divided
- 1 cup walnut halves
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 cups good-quality bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray a rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray. Combine 1/4 cup sugar, expresso powder, cinnamon, 5 spice, chocolate, and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. In a large bowl whisk egg white, add walnuts, stir to coat. Add spice mixture, mix well. Spread on prepared baking sheet. Bake 5-10 minutes stirring half way thru cooking. Bake until walnuts are dry to the touch. Cool. Coarsely chop cooled nuts.
- Increase oven temperture to 375 degrees. Cream the butter, shortening, remaining sugar, and brown sugar, add the remaining eggs one at a time, beat until well blended. Mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Add dry mixture to creamed mixture, mix well. Add vanilla and melted chocolate, stir in the chocolate chips and candied nuts.
- Drop by tablespoonful mounds on ungreased baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake about 10 minutes or until golden brown around edges. Cool for a minute on baking sheet, remove to cooling rack. If there are any cookie left, place cooled cookies in an air tight container.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.