was part of
Food Fight: Holiday Desserts Challenge
which ended Nov 6, 2009 04:00 PM.
See winners »
You’ll love these cookies because they’re sublime, buttery, and so easy…even kids (or guests) can have fun helping (they roll out like playdough). Plus, there’s no long list of ingredients, no complicated prep, and no mixers or food processors to clean afterward, so you’ll have more time to relax and savor the holidays! The dough and frosting will also chill happily in the fridge until you have time to bake another batch.
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, with a spatula or large spoon, cream 1 cup butter with 1 Tb. vanilla, 1 Tb. rum extract, sugar, and egg.
- 3Add 3 cups flour, nutmeg, and salt and continue stirring until dough forms and is smooth.
- 4Lightly dust hands and counter with flour and begin rolling about 1/2 cup of dough at a time with your hands until the dough is about a 3/4 inch in diameter roll.
- 5Cut roll into 2 inch lengths of cookies. Butter knives or any safe plastic knives work great. End pieces and mess-ups can easily be re-rolled again and again. Have fun with the dough because it smells great and is very user-friendly!
- 6Place cookies on cookie sheets about 1/2 inch apart. They don’t really spread out while they bake, so you can bake several dozen at a time and no need for parchment paper or no-stick spray.
- 7Bake 12–15 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly browned.
- 8Cool cookies on paper towels or wire racks.
- 9While cookies are baking and cooling, make frosting by stirring together 1 stick of butter with the remaining extracts and powdered sugar until smooth.
- 10Place frosting in either a gallon size zipper food bag and cut off about 1/2 inch of one corner or use a decorating bag with 1M star tip.
- 11Once cookies are completely cooled, pipe frosting in a mini-zigzag pattern on top of each cookie.
- 12Decorate with red and/or green sugar spinkles on top of frosting.
- 13Refrigerate unused dough and the frosting bag in separate zipper food bags for up to a week. Just let them come to room temperature before re-using.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.