was part of
Food Fight: Holiday Desserts Challenge
which ended Nov 6, 2009 04:00 PM.
See winners »
Chocolate Caramel Bread Pudding Recipe
i was tired of the standard bread pudding, so i decided to create something a little bit gooey and chocolately. nothing is better than warm chocolate and gooey caramel. and its great with ice cream too!
- 8 cups cubed French bread
- 10 chewy caramels (Werthers, Brachs or any brand you like)
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup half and half
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. Vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. Disaronno (or other amaretto flavored liquour)
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 whole eggs
Optional Crumble topping
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 stick (4 Tbsp.) unsalted butter
- 1 tsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Optional garnish: 1 chopped up Skor or Heath bar
- Cut up French bread into 1-inch cubes. Layer 4 cups of the bread on the bottom of an 8×8 inch baking dish. Then, layer chocolate chips and caramels on top of the bottom layer. After that, top off with the last 4 cups of bread and kind of squish it down so it all fits. Don’t push down too much – just enough so there is no bread spilling over. Set aside.
- Heat the cream, half and half, sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, vanilla and Disaronno over medium until the sugar dissolves and cream slightly thickens. Turn off heat.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and whole eggs, and slowly add with a ladle, little by little, the chocolate cream mixture to the eggs, until all the cream is incorporated with the eggs.
- Strain this mixture and pour it over the bread. Leave this to soak into the bread for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Place the 8×8 baking dish in another larger (9×13) baking pan or roaster pan, and put enough hot water in the larger pan to come about half-way up the sides of the baking dish. Bake for 1 hour.
- After the 1 hour, check the pudding to see if the custard is set and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Now, if you like, you can add a crumbly topping (or skip to last step): In a bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder and cinnamon. Add in cold butter – cut up the butter into chunks and work it into the dry ingredients with your hands until you have something the consistency of bread crumbs. Sprinkle this on top of the bread pudding and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Take the pudding out of the oven (leave the water bath in the oven to cool off so you can remove it later) and let cool for about 20 min. Serve warm topped off with optional Skor bar pieces and with ice cream or alone if you prefer.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.