Cavolo Nero (Black Kale) Recipe
Four pounds of black kale (also known as Lacinato or dinosaur kale) may take up an entire shelf of your refrigerator when fresh, but wilted it becomes the perfect amount for a family gathering. Keeping the rest of the ingredients simple leaves cleaning the kale the only major task to tackle here.
This recipe was featured as part of our Christmas Day Feast, Italian Style menu.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, medium dice
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 4 pounds black kale (about 6 to 7 bunches), tough stems removed and leaves cut into bite-size pieces
- Heat olive oil in large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion, garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes (if using) and cook until vegetables have softened, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium high, add orange juice, and bring to a simmer. Add a few handfuls of kale and, as it wilts, continue to add a handful at a time, stirring constantly, until all the kale is in the pan, about 10 minutes. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until all the kale is wilted, about 2 minutes more. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately.