was part of
Food Fight: Holiday Desserts Challenge
which ended Nov 6, 2009 04:00 PM.
See winners »
I created this recipe when I made a cider cake and it wouldn’t come out of the pan. The cake began to fall apart and I decided that rather than throw the cake out I could turn it into something else. I had some canned pumpkin pie filling and some heavy cream and the trifle was created.
- 1Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice in a bowl.
- 2Add flour mixture and cider alternately in 3 batches.
- 3Divide batter into pans and bake for 25-30 or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 4While cake is cooling make pumpkin mixture and whipped cream.
- 5For the pumpkin layer add cans of pumpkin, dark brown sugar, and maple syrup to a sauce pot and cook until just warm, and sugar is well incorporated.
- 6For the whipped cream fix an electric mixer with the whisk attachment.
- 7Whisk heavy cream and powdered sugar together until stiff peaks occur.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.