was part of
Food Fight: Holiday Desserts Challenge
which ended Nov 6, 2009 04:00 PM.
See winners »
Cider Cake and Pumpkin Trifle Recipe
I created this recipe when I made a cider cake and it wouldn’t come out of the pan. The cake began to fall apart and I decided that rather than throw the cake out I could turn it into something else. I had some canned pumpkin pie filling and some heavy cream and the trifle was created.
- 1 stick softened unsalted butter, plus one tablespoon for greasing the pan
- 1 1/2 all purpose flour, plus a tablespoon for dusting the pan
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cans of pumpkin pie filling
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (good quality)
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice in a bowl.
- Add flour mixture and cider alternately in 3 batches.
- Divide batter into pans and bake for 25-30 or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While cake is cooling make pumpkin mixture and whipped cream.
- For the pumpkin layer add cans of pumpkin, dark brown sugar, and maple syrup to a sauce pot and cook until just warm, and sugar is well incorporated.
- For the whipped cream fix an electric mixer with the whisk attachment.
- Whisk heavy cream and powdered sugar together until stiff peaks occur.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.