Korean style chicken and potato stew Recipe
This was a staple in my home when I was growing up. It’s delicious, satisfying and it’s really easy to make! Just put everything in and cook!
- 8 Chicken thighs with bones (you can use skinless if you want)
- 1/2 cup of good soy sauce- more to taste
- 1/4 cup of Mirin
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 ts of finely chopped ginger
- 1 medium onion, medium chopped
- 5-10 Shiitake mushroom (dried or fresh)
- 3-4 Tbs of honey or 3-4 Tbs of brown sugar (depends how sweet you want)
- 2 medium Yukon gold potatoes, cut in half diagonally then 1/2 inch thickness
- 2 medium carrots, about the same size of potato
- 1/4 cup of toasted pine nuts (optional)
- Peeled chestnuts (not water chestnut), (optional)
- In a large dutch oven, add everything except potatoes, carrots, chestnuts and pine nuts and cook over a medium heat for about 20-25 min. Stirring occasionally.
- Add potatoes, carrots and chestnuts to the pot. Hand break dried mushroom into pieces and put them into the pot. Cook for another 15 min or until mushroom is soft and vegetables are firmly cooked.
(I don’t pre-soak mushroom in this recipe as they will get soft during cooking)
- When it’s done, sprinkle with toasted pine nuts and serve. You can serve this dish with a side of cooked rice.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.