was part of
Food Fight: Holiday Desserts Challenge
which ended Nov 6, 2009 04:00 PM.
See winners »
Praline Rum Sweet Potatoes Recipe
It is a variation of my sweet potato pie without the crust. Many of my friends including myself are in our sixties and we love our desserts especially the fattening ones. So I eliminated the crust thus cutting a few calories but this is still a wonderful side dish and very rich indeed.
I got tired of the marshmallow-topped sweet potatoes and decided to pair my potatoes with a praline topping flavored with rum extract and caramel.
The condensed milk replaces sugar and heavy creams that I used in my pies. And there is no need for butter.
- 1 can condensed milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon each vanilla and rum extracts
- 1/4 teaspoon each salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg
- 1 jar caramel topping
- 2 cups whole pecans
- Roast sweet potatoes until fork tender
- Once cooled, peel the potatoes
- Use hand mixer to whip the potatoes ( this will remove any strings)
- beat the eggs slightly and add to potatoes
- add can of condensed milk
- add the salt, dry spices and extracts
- using your mixer or large spoon, combine all ingredients until smooth
- pour into 2 quart casserole dish that has been lightly oiled with margarine or butter-flavored spray.
- bake in 375 degree over for twenty-minutes and remove from oven.
- Mix the pecans and caramel topping together and spread over potatoe mixture
- return the casserole to the over and bake until set in the middle.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.