Lentil Soup Recipe
There’s nothing like a pot of lentil soup that’s been simmering all day. If you have a hearty appetite, serve this over basmati rice—a great combination—or add some steamed kale or collards for a well-balanced and satisfying meal.
- 1 thumb-size piece kombu
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 4 cups dried lentils
- 10 cups water or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon brown rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place kombu in bowl with enough water to cover and soak 10 minutes or until soft. Drain, mince and set aside. In large soup pot over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until soft (about 3 minutes). Add celery, carrots, tomatoes and red wine. Rinse lentils and add to pot along with water or stock. Add vinegar, syrup, molasses, tamari, kombu, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir, bring to boil, then reduce heat. Cover and simmer 2 hours. Adjust seasonings and serve.
For a richer, more decadent soup, add 2 tablespoons cocoa powder along with molasses.
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by