This is Italian Comfort Food! Stuff your tomatoes with rice and either shrimp, veggies or meat for a delicious antipasta, side dish or just for lunch!
- 1Wash your tomatoes & slice off the tops, with a spoon, hollow out the flesh of the the tomato being careful not to pierce the cup you are making.
- 2Save the pulp & juice, pass through a food mill or give it a turn in the food processor, blender, etc.
- 3In a small pot, brown 1 clove of garlic in a glug of olive oil.
- 4Remove & discard.
- 5Then on low heat, slowly sauté your onion until it is translucent–approximately 10 minutes.
- 6Add in your rice & sauté for 1 minute, then raise heat & add tomato pulp.
- 7Season with salt & pepper.
- 8Bring to a low simmer for a minute or two. Remove from heat and add in herbs.
- 9NOTE: If you are using a different rice other than long grain white rice, you will need to par-cook the rice first, for example brown rice, wild rice, etc.
Also this is where you can be creative. Incorporate shrimp with the onions or a little ground veal or sausage if you like also veggies work great too.
- 10Spoon mixture into cups of tomatoes and replace the tops of the tomatoes.
- 11Bake in a casserole dish with a little olive oil rubbed on the bottom at 375 F/ 190 C for 20-30 minutes.
- 12When the rice is cooked and the tomatoes have started to split it’s done. Serve hot warm or cold with a drizzle good olive oil atop.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.