Flaky Pie Crust Recipe
Great pie crust passed down in my family for many years. I have taught many people to make a good pie with this recipe. Enjoy!
- 1 & 1/4 flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup white crisco
- 2 tablespoons ice cold water (put ice cubes into a glass & fill with water)
- Either use a Kitchen Aide mixer to form or use your hands.
- Mix all together, if too wet to roll, add a few tablespoons of flour until rollable. If too dry, add a bit of water at a time.
- Wet your counter top & cut a big piece of wax paper & lay ontop. Flour the wax paper all over. Place ball of dough on the floured wax paper & roll out thin.
- Carefully push your hand under the wax paper & have a 8 or 9 in. pie plate ready. Pick up the wax paper with dough on top & quickly flip on to pie plate. Pinch the edges together, all around. I usually make a “crumb” topping, but if you want a top crust, then double the recipe.
- For crumbs: 1/2 c flour, 1/4 c sugar, and 1/4 cup melted butter mixed witha fork. Spread on top of fruit pie.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.