This is a recipe my Gran passed on to me. It is similar to Italian biscotti, and goes great with coffee or tea. Every time I make it the smell of the mandel brudt reminds me of sitting at her kitchen table listening to her advice.
I have tried substituting in butter-flavored Crisco. The resulting taste and texture is more like a shortbread, quite good but not what you are going for with this recipe.
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- 2Cream together Crisco and sugar.
- 3Add eggs and vanilla and combine
- 4Add in the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- 5Fold in almonds and/or cherries- you can do this step with your hands if the dough is too stiff to use a spatula.
- 6On a large baking sheet covered with parchment, form into 2 loaves, about 2" wide. Bake for 40 minutes.
- 7Cut into 1/2 inch slices and lay them on their side on the baking sheet.
- 8Place back in the oven for about 20 minutes, until dry and lightly browned.
- 9Enjoy with coffee or as an afternoon nosh!
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.