Grilled Mussels in Feta Cheese & Tomato
New Zealand is blessed with awesome seafood selections, yummy fish and chips, bluff oysters that’s to-die-for (accompanied by a glass of Oyster Bay Chardonnay) and heaps of cheap green lipped mussels. Those mussels are so fresh, extremely large in size that some are almost as big as the palm of my hand with big fat juicy meat inside. The best way to cook them is in white wine to keep them stay juicy and sweet.
This recipe is adopted from a greek-style mussel recipe. Best served for brunch – but I’ll have them as appetizer for dinner tonight.
- 12 pcs fresh green lipped mussels
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- half onion - diced
- 1 cup of whole peeled tomatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 cup of feta cheese, crumbled
- chopped parsley to sprinkle
- 1Scrub mussels, remove beard or baby crabs inside. Steam open mussels in 2 cups of white wine. Strain
- 2Cook onion & garlic until transparent, add tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar & thyme
- 3Arrange mussels on a tray/baking dish, drizzle with sauce, crumbled feta cheese. Grill for about 5-7 mnts until slightly brown & bubbling. Ready to serve–sprinkle with chopped parsley
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.
© CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved