Chicken, Proscuitto and Mushroom Risotto Recipe
I always have some aborio rice on hand for a night when I want to make something special, the prosciutto, chicken and mushrooms make it a wonderful main course.
- 1 cup aborio rice
- 1 1/2 pounds of cubed chicken (approx 1/2 to 1/4 inch)
- 3-4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup of white wine (I use Riesling)
- 10 crimini mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- pinch of pepper
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 2 small tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of fresh parsley finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 5 cloves of Garlic
- 1 large onion
- 5 tbsp of butter
- 75 grams or 1/5 pound of Prosciutto
- Combine onions, garlic and 4 tbsp of butter in a small saucepan and place over medium heat until butter is melted, turn to medium-low heat and let simmer for about 30-45 minutes. Once completed strain through a sieve and set aside.
- Melt one tbsp of butter in a pan and add mushrooms, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat until liquid has been reduced, set aside once finished.
- In a medium saucepan heat the chicken stock over med-low heat, start the stock about five minutes before you start the risotto pan.
- To cook the risotto, heat a large pan over high heat. Once hot add the olive oil and the chicken, stir the chicken to sear all sides. While searing add the paprika.
- After about 1 minute add the rice and continue to stir, ensuring that you coat the rice in paprika and oil.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and let cook for about 1-2 minutes stirring consistently.
- Add the wine and stir to remove any bits that have stuck to the pan. The wine should boil immediately, after about 1 minute you can start to add chicken stock a few ladles at a time. Continue stirring frequently. As the liquid reduces and the rice starts to stick to the pan add more stock, a couple ladles at a time.
- After about 10 minutes and once the rice has significant increased in size, taste a few pieces of rice for doneness. The rice should be soft but maintain a little bite, thus a little el dente. Once the rice has reach this point you can add the parsley, prosciutto, mushrooms and strained butter.
- Remove from heat and stir in the parmesan. Congratulations on a beautiful risotto!
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.