A simple blend of just a few delicious ingredients, this dish delivers serious flavor. It makes a great presentation when you use unusual varieties of eggplant (try Whole Foods or your local farmer’s market), but tastes delicious either way! The fresh seafood and smoky gouda flavors meld delightfully with the eggplant for a filling, healthy meal that takes only a few minutes to prepare.
Also try substituting (or supplementing with) lump crab meat or fresh chopped scallops.
- 1Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a medium-sized casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- 2Remove flesh from eggplant with a spoon. Chop flesh into small cubes and reserve. Rub the inside and outside of the cleaned eggplant halves with a light coat of olive oil and place in the casserole dish for filling later.
- 3Heat 1/4 c. olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is thoroughly heated, add the onion. Saute until slightly translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add shrimp & salt to skillet and cook until slightly pink, about 2-3 minutes.
- 5Reduce heat to medium and add eggplant, garlic, and white wine to the shrimp, stirring frequently. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until eggplant begins to get tender. Add breadcrumbs and stir for about 45 seconds, then remove from heat. (If mixture appears too dry, add more white wine before removing from heat. If too wet, add more breadcrumbs.)
- 6Add the shredded gouda, fresh basil, and pepper to the shrimp mixture. Fill eggplant shells evenly with this mixture.
- 7Bake at 350º for 20-25 minutes, or until the eggplants are tender. Serve with a fresh basil leaf and gouda slices on top for a polished (and delicious!) appearance.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.