Smoky Shrimp-Stuffed Baby Eggplant Recipe
A simple blend of just a few delicious ingredients, this dish delivers serious flavor. It makes a great presentation when you use unusual varieties of eggplant (try Whole Foods or your local farmer’s market), but tastes delicious either way! The fresh seafood and smoky gouda flavors meld delightfully with the eggplant for a filling, healthy meal that takes only a few minutes to prepare.
Also try substituting (or supplementing with) lump crab meat or fresh chopped scallops.
- 2 baby eggplants, halved lengthwise
- 1/3 lb. fresh shrimp, peeled & chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 c. dry white wine
- 1/4 c. fresh, roughly-chopped basil
- 1/2 c. good-quality smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- 1/4 c. plain breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- garnish: extra slices of gouda, whole basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a medium-sized casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Remove flesh from eggplant with a spoon. Chop flesh into small cubes and reserve. Rub the inside and outside of the cleaned eggplant halves with a light coat of olive oil and place in the casserole dish for filling later.
- Heat 1/4 c. olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Once the oil is thoroughly heated, add the onion. Saute until slightly translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add shrimp & salt to skillet and cook until slightly pink, about 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add eggplant, garlic, and white wine to the shrimp, stirring frequently. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until eggplant begins to get tender. Add breadcrumbs and stir for about 45 seconds, then remove from heat. (If mixture appears too dry, add more white wine before removing from heat. If too wet, add more breadcrumbs.)
- Add the shredded gouda, fresh basil, and pepper to the shrimp mixture. Fill eggplant shells evenly with this mixture.
- Bake at 350º for 20-25 minutes, or until the eggplants are tender. Serve with a fresh basil leaf and gouda slices on top for a polished (and delicious!) appearance.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.