This recipe by Team Fat Bottom Girls took Second Place at SF Food Wars’ 2009 Mac Battle Royale with Cheese. Congratulations!
This rich mac and cheese is great with steamed broccoli or some bbq tofu and dark sautéed greens.
- 1Start a large pot of salted water boiling and preheat oven to 325 F.
- 2Peel and finely chop potato and carrot. Combine with 1 cup of water in a small saucepan. Cover and cook potato and carrots on medium-high heat until quite soft, about 10-12 minutes.
- 3Prepare your breadcrumbs by ripping 1/2 baguette into 1 inch chunks. Combine a handful of chunks with the margarine and pulse until crumbs are small.
- 4Add the remaining bread chunks. Stir and blend until breadcrumbs are small. Add nutritional yeast and onion powder and pulse until combined. Set aside and rinse blender.
- 5In blender combine the cashew and pine nuts. Pulse until the nuts are in small pieces but have not formed a paste.
- 6Add the remaining cashew sauce ingredients to the blender, including the softened potato and carrots with the water they were cooked in. Mix with a spoon and then blend away until sauce is smooth and creamy.
- 7Taste and adjust seasonings. At this point the sauce should be pretty intensely flavored, since it is going to be combined with the mellow, creamy sauce.
- 8Set aside in blender.
- 9Start toasting breadcrumbs in a thin layer on baking sheet covered in parchment or foil for 10-15 min. or until crisp and light gold. You may want to stir them a couple times to ensure even toasting. Set aside to sprinkle over baked mac and cheese.
- 10While breadcrumbs are toasting start on the creamy sauce.
- 11Melt the margarine in a saucepan on medium heat, and whisk in the flour to make a roux.
- 12Once the flour and margarine are thoroughly combined and not lumpy, whisk in the nutritional yeast, salt and turmeric.
- 13Slowly add the soymilk, stirring constantly and scraping the edges and bottom of the pan to combine.
- 14Continue to cook over low-medium heat for several minutes, continually stirring, until the sauce thickens to a creamy consistency.
- 15Combine sauces in blender and blend for 15-20 seconds.
- 16Pour over pasta in baking dish and stir to evenly coat. Cover with foil and bake for 25-30 min.
- 17Sprinkle with breadcrumbs and a dash paprika and black pepper once everything is out of the oven.
- 18Enjoy with several of your closest friends!
This recipe, while from a trusted source, may not have been tested by the CHOW food team.