This is one of my favorite recipes lately. The chorizo sausage and roasted jalapenos blend perfectly with the red chili sauce. I could (and have been) eating these every day!! They also reheat very well in just a couple of minutes. You can ease up on the jalapenos if you don’t like the food so spicy, but I wouldn’t…
- 1Roast the jalapenos over the flame on your oven (or under the broiler) until the skin is blackened, but the peppers aren’t burned. Transfer them to a sealable container or a Ziploc bag and let rest for about 15 minutes.
- 2Next, slice the Chorizo, then chop the onions into thin strips. In a heavy skillet, cook the sausage, onions, cumin in the tbls of oil over medium heat until onions are translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
- 3Grate the cheese and mix thoroughly, then put in a covered container and keep in the refrigerator so as it doesn’t get gummy
- 4Remove the jalapenos from the container, peel the skin off with your fingers, keep a bowl of water handy for rinsing the blackened skin from your fingers. DO NOT skin the peppers under running water as this washes the tasty oils and the roasted flavor from the pepper. Slice into thin strips and set aside.
- 5Assemble the quesadillas by laying out 4 tortillas and coat with 2 tbls of the red chili sauce (another recipe). Spread the chorizo sausage evenly over the tortillas followed by the cheese and the jalapeno strips. Sprinkle with 1/2 tbls chopped cilantro per tortilla.
- 6In the heavy skillet, drizzle a small amount of oil then warm over medium heat until hot. Transfer the quesadilla to the skillet and place another tortilla on top of it, very lightly brushing it with vegetable oil. Cook until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Carefully flip the quesadilla, (I like to place a large plate on top of the quesadilla and then quickly invert the skillet…careful!). Repeat with each until finished. Serve with your favorite salsa, sour cream or just as they are. Enjoy!!!
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.