Warning: This magical combo of sweet onions, fruity figs, salty bacon, and sharp greens may inspire instant friendship.
This recipe was featured as part of our Fall Ingredients photo gallery.| by Aida Mollenkamp
- 1Bake flatbread as directed on the packaging.
- 2Crisp bacon in a large frying pan over medium-low heat. Remove to a paper-towel-lined plate, set aside to cool, then crumble.
- 3Discard all but 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat, add onion, and cook, stirring rarely, until well-browned, about 15 minutes. Add vinegar and cook until the strong vinegar aroma has dissipated, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from heat and let cool slightly.
- 4Place arugula in a large nonreactive bowl. Slice figs crosswise into 1/4-inch coins and add to the bowl along with crumbled bacon and cooled onion mixture. Toss to evenly combine and season with additional vinegar, salt, and freshly ground black pepper as desired.
- 5Evenly arrange mixture on toasted flatbread. Cut into squares and serve.