Groats and Bell Pepper Scramble Recipe
4 to 6 servings
Groats and Bell Pepper Scramble
Eggs or grains for breakfast? Instead of wasting time deciding, just throw them together in this simple scramble (which tastes better than it looks). Feel free to jazz it up with any fresh herbs or cheese you have on hand.
What to buy: Buckwheat groats are whole-grain, hulled buckwheat kernels that help lower cholesterol and are packed with antioxidants. Their nutty flavor and toothsome texture make them a perfect addition to a savory scramble. Groats can be found in your local health food store, gourmet grocery store, or online. You could also use kasha, a.k.a. toasted buckwheat groats, here.
Game plan: The groats can be prepared through step 1 up to a day ahead. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use.
This recipe was featured as part of our Whole Grain Recipes photo gallery.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, medium dice
- 1 medium yellow, orange, or red bell pepper, medium dice
- 8 large eggs
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1Place water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in groats, reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until all liquid has been absorbed, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, then set aside.
- 2Heat butter in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat until foaming. When foaming subsides, add onion and bell pepper and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables just begin to caramelize, about 6 minutes.
- 3Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, paprika, and salt until yolks are broken up and smooth, then season with freshly ground black pepper and stir until incorporated. Add reserved groats to onion-pepper mixture, stir to combine, and reduce heat to medium low. Pour in egg mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until set, about 4 minutes.
Copyright ©2012 CBS Interactive. All Rights Reserved