Bulgur with Zucchini and Herbs Recipe
This quick, easy bulgur side dish has yet to meet a main it didn’t like (pictured here with seared scallops).
What to buy: Fine-grind bulgur can be found at your local health food store, gourmet grocery, or online.
Game plan: The bulgur can be made through step 1 up to a day ahead. Refrigerate in an airtight container until ready to use.
This recipe was featured as part of our Whole Grain Recipes photo gallery.
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup fine-grind bulgur
- 2 medium zucchini, ends trimmed and cut into small dice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup small-dice red onion
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 to 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh herbs like thyme, oregano, marjoram, or Italian parsley (optional)
- Combine broth, water, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add bulgur, stir to combine, and remove from heat. Cover and let sit until tender and all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place zucchini in a small bowl, sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and toss to combine; set aside.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. When it shimmers, add garlic and onion, season with freshly ground black pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini and cook, stirring rarely, until well browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in vinegar and cook until smell has cooked off, about 30 seconds.
- Remove from heat and stir bulgur into zucchini mixture. Stir in fresh herbs, if using, and season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.