Flax Focaccia Bread Base with Rosemary Parsley Topping Recipe
This is the bread recipe that changed my life—well, at least temporarily, in a small way.
Please visit elanaspantry.com for the Rosemary Parsley Topping recipe that goes along with this bread.
Note: After reader feedback and a retest of this recipe, I lowered the amount of baking soda from 2 teaspoons to 1 and the amount of cream of tartar from 1 teaspoon to 1/2; the bread still rises very nicely with these new amounts of baking aids.
- 2 cups flax meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 5 eggs, whisked
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- In a large bowl combine flax meal, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt
- In a smaller bowl, mix together agave, eggs, water and olive oil
- Stir wet ingredients into dry, mixing well, then allow to stand for 2-3 minutes so that batter thickens
- Pour batter into a 11-by-7-Inch pyrex baking dish
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or so until a knife comes out clean
- Remove from oven and cool
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.