Roasted Banana Coconut Ice Cream (Vegan and Gluten Free!) Recipe
The catalyst for this naturally sweetened, vegan, gluten free ice cream (don’t be scared by all the descriptors) is a recipe from Karina’s Kitchen for Maple Roasted Banana Ice Cream. Thanks Karina, your creativity, spunk and inspiration continue to be contagious!
This ice cream is not the easiest to make, given that there are a couple of steps involved, however it’s mighty tasty and my children love it—we hid it from my husband because we wanted more for the 3 of us. And he’s been traveling a ton, so it was easy to keep it a secret.
- 4-5 medium bananas, sliced into 1" pieces
- 2 dates, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can coconut milk
- Place bananas and dates in a 11-by-7-Inch Pyrex baking dish
- Drizzle with vanilla and coconut oil
- Bake at 375° for 35 to 45 minutes, until bananas begin to caramelize and smell fragrant—do not let burn
- Place banana fixins and coconut milk in vita-mix and puree on highest setting until smooth
- Place mixture in ice cream maker and freeze according to directions
- Top with nuts, berries or sprinkles and serve
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.