This is the real deal when your talking about creole, but be warned, it’s very spicy!! Keep some cold beer handy for this one. Chorizo is a good substitute if you can’t get andoullie sausage.
- 1Heat oil in a large heavy skillet/pot over med heat. Add andoullie sausage and brown, about 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove the sausage from the skillet, leaving the oil
- 2. Add onion, celery, green pepper, fresh cayenne pepper, habenero pepper and garlic and saute until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.
- 3In a blender, slightly pulse tomatoes, tomato paste, then slowly whisk into the skillet.
- 4Add bay leaves, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper powder, black pepper, cumin, Tabasco sauce and Cajun seasoning. Return andoullie to the mixture.
- 5Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour.
- 6Add shrimp and cook for 1 minute, then remove and let stand covered for 5 min. Serve immediately with steamed rice.
Member recipes are not tested by the CHOW food team.